SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, July 2, 2012

Surviving the storm


A terrible storm went through our area Friday evening. Landon and I were in his room putting fresh sheets on the bed when the thunder and lightening started. I was excited because I LOVE a good summer thunderstorm. The power dimmed a few times, but I wasn't terribly worried. We headed to the utility room to get our big flashlight. As soon as I had it in hand, the lights went out. I grabbed a thin blanket and we headed to the front porch to enjoy the storm. We sat in the rocking chair and watched the lightening and enjoyed the cool wind. Landon laughed when the wind blew rain on us.  But soon the wind turned vicious and made such terrible sounds. We hurried inside and sat in front of the storm door to watch. After a few minutes, I decided to shut the front door. I grabbed a few bottles of water, a blanket, my iPad and phone and we went to the inside hallway. The storm sounded so terrible I wanted to hide us from it.

Fast forward to today... My family was very lucky. Our power came back on Saturday night around 9pm. It's been a crazy few days as people have had to look for gasoline, ice, food, etc. Stores cannot keep generators or ice. 331,000+ people are still without power. And there's no rhyme or reason to whose power comes back on. My mom less than 3 blocks from us is still without power. We have temps in the 95-100 range this week and it may be Sunday before some power is restored. My sister-in-law has been a great help to us. She's been all over the place to help my mom out, searching for ice, gas, etc. A true angel on earth.


What have I learned from this experience? Well, the hard {and scary} truth is that we are not prepared for any type of disaster, whether it be from Mother Nature or man-made. It's made me stop to think of what would happen to my family if something more serious than a 2-3 day catastrophe occurred. I don't think our state government is prepared, nor do I want to depend on them for us to survive. I don't want to be as extreme as the Doomsday Preppers on National Geographic, but I do want a plan in place.  What do you think? Do you have a survival plan for emergencies?

Post a Comment