SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

baked 'fried green tomatoes'


Around here, summer tastes a lot like fried green tomatoes. I've been working on perfecting a baked lighter version so I can indulge a bit more often and I've finally got it.  I'm sure we'll  have the real thing a time or two this season, but it's nice to have this healthier option that I can just pop in the oven.  One thing I've discovered with all the recipes I've tried is that it's really important to season every layer,  so don't skip that. I hope you'll give these a try.

Baked Fried Green Tomatoes

Two Green Tomatoes
1 egg
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup Panko

Preheat oven to 400.  Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil; spray lightly with cooking spray. Slice tomatoes 1/4 inch thick, season lightly with salt & pepper.  Whisk egg and buttermilk together, season with salt & pepper. Mix cornmeal and Panko, season with salt & pepper. Dip tomatoes into buttermilk & egg mixture; dredge in dry mixture to completely coat. Bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping once halfway through. 

Enjoy! 
Teal Signature photo Toniasig.png

Post a Comment