SOCIAL MEDIA

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Perfect Holiday Stuffing


To me, the best part of the Thanksgiving meal is the stuffing.  I make it just like my mother-in-law does {that's her in the picture with me}. I still remember the first time I tasted her stuffing and I promise it was love at first bite. It's a delicious traditional turkey stuffing. The recipe makes plenty so you can enjoy leftovers all weekend. I'm actually glad it makes so much because I always eat more than a few bites before I put it in the oven.

Holiday Stuffing
3/4 cup butter
2 1/2 cups chopped onions
2 cups chopped celery
5 teaspoons dried sage
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
14 cups dried white bread, cubed & toasted
Chicken or Turkey Stock
{I also add some drippings from the turkey pan}

Place toasted bread cubes in a very large bowl. In a large frying pan, melt butter over a medium heat. Saute onions and celery together with salt and pepper, stirring often, until vegetables are tender, about 10-15 minutes. Add about 1 cup of stock. Continue cooking over medium low heat until stock evaporates.

Add celery & onion mixture to bowl containing toasted bread; add sage & stock, mix well. Add more stock until stuffing is at desired consistency - mine is very moist. {This is where I could end the recipe and just start eating}

Place in buttered casserole dish - bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes until heated through & slightly browned on top.

***Note*** I usually separate the stuffing into two casserole dishes as some of our family likes their stuffing a bit crunchier on top.

Post a Comment