SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, June 27, 2011

Fried Green Tomatoes


We had a family dinner at my mom's on Sunday. And the first fried green tomatoes of the season. I LOVE fried green tomatoes! The platter rarely makes it to the table full; my sister & I eat them as soon as they've cooled a bit.

Some people prepare these using a 3 step breading technique, but I use cornbread batter. It gives a nice thick coating to bite into.


Fried Green Tomatoes
3 - 4 green tomatoes, sliced 1/4" thick slices
2 package cornbread mix (I use Jiffy)
1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup buttermilk
Vegetable Oil
salt

Slice tomatoes and sprinkle with salt. Mix remaining ingredients in large bowl (you may need a little more buttermilk - batter should resemble waffle or pancake batter). Heat about half an inch of vegetable oil in skillet over medium heat.

Dip tomato slices into batter, place gently into pan, frying 3-4 minutes on both sides until golden brown. Remove from skillet, placing on paper towels to drain. Enjoy!

Post a Comment