SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Neopolitan Birthday Cake


Mike turns 40 tomorrow. We're having a small celebration at home. I was planning on the three of us going to dinner at LoneStar, but Mike wants to keep it simple... a cheese pizza and an ice cream cake from Dairy Queen. Is my husband great or what? I'm thinking this menu is from the fact that we watch Home Alone EVERY night {it's become Landon's favorite movie}. Thank goodness for DVR or I'd never be caught up on my favorite programs.


We had a family party for Mike Friday evening. I was crazy proud of the neopolitan birthday cake I made for him. And he LOVED it.  The buttercream frosting was so tasty and an absolute dream to pipe. The recipe is at the end of this post.

Mike's family party didn't turn out quite as I had planned. I envisioned perfect decorations, a breathtaking buffet, etc. However, with my soon-to-be 2 year old helper, I didn't get everything done. But you know what? That's OK. Sometimes life just gets in the way of everything being perfect. And that's the stuff memories are made of.

Buttercream Frosting
recipe courtesy Sweetpolita

1 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
8 cups icing sugar (confectioners’)
120 ml whipping cream
2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon water
pinch of salt

Beat the butter and icing sugar in an electric mixer on low with the paddle attachment for about 2 minutes. Add the vanilla, water, whipping cream, salt, and strawberry oil, and whip on high speed until fluffy and smooth–about 4 minutes. Add colour and mix until well blended. If consistency is too thick, add more water 1 teaspoon at a time, then whip again for 30 seconds or so.

Makes enough to fill and frost a 3-layer (or 5-6 thin layers) 9″ cake.

2 comments :

  1. That cake makes up for any thing not done....Fantastic.
    Icing recipe is one I will try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be sure to try the icing. It's amazingly easy to decorate with. It's my new go-to icing.

    ReplyDelete