SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

macarons - i finally tried them


So I finally decided to try macarons. I had planned to try them back in the fall, but just kept putting it off. I had the almond flour, all the other ingredients and even got a food scale. Still, I shied away from making them. The failure v. success stories were intimidating. I didn't want to spend my time making something that would probably end up in the trash. Then I decided I would never know success (or failure) if I never tried. So on Good Friday, I got to work. Landon was busy with some construction paper and tape, so I knew I had plenty of time to whip these up. Seriously, that kid is busy for hours with a 3-pack of Scotch tape.
 
The Resting Stage
And guess what?!? They turned out!! When I took a peek at them in the oven and saw that they had feet, I actually got teary-eyed. Seriously. And when I took them out of the oven, I could not stop smiling. I felt like I could conquer the world.
 
They have feet!!!
 I'm not going to share a recipe today, but I am going to share my thoughts on these supposed trickiest of cookies.

- Do your research. I read so many recipes and techniques for making these, I'm surprised I didn't dream about them. I used one recipe for ingredients, but took away techniques from a few recipes.
- Don't double your cookie sheets. Several recipes call for this, but the macarons I didn't double the pans on turned out prettier.
- Get a one hand sifter. I used a mesh strainer and my arm was so tired. 

- Don't try to measure ingredients using measuring cups. A scale is a must!
- DO NOT SKIP SIFTING. It's important to sift twice or even three times.
- Don't skip the resting step and don't rush it.
- Don't buy special parchment paper. I used a medicine dosage cup and traced it on the back side. Most are 1.5" wide.
- HAVE FUN!

I made chocolate macaron shells and filled them with an espresso buttercream. So good!! I'm making lemon next. I'll be back next week to share how they turn out. I've read that one success doesn't guarantee another, so we'll see.

Teal Signature photo Toniasig.png
 

Post a Comment