SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday, September 22, 2016

cinnamon rolls


Last weekend I made cinnamon rolls to go along with a pot of chili. I love that combination - it's just so cozy and delicious. Landon helped me with the cinnamon rolls. He is seriously the best little kitchen helper. Talking to him while we rolled up the dough, I realized that I've been using the same recipe for over 20 years. What?! I'm not sure how that's even possible. I obviously started baking at a VERY early age. Ha! 

Anyway, sometimes it's best to stick with what works, so that's what I've done. The original recipe does give the option of butter, margarine or shortening for the dough, but I've only listed butter here. I've also included an additional cream cheese frosting recipe. We prefer that over the traditional glaze.

To get the best rise on your dough, heat your oven for a few minutes to 200 degrees and then turn it off.  I used to just turn my oven light on during raising, but that just heated oven really does make a difference.  I hope you'll give these a try! Be sure to let me know.

Cinnamon Rolls

1 package regular or quick-acting active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (105 to 115)
1/2 lukewarm milk (scalded then cooled)
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, unsalted
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
3 1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour

 

Filling
3 tablespoons softened butter (I use salted)
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons cinnamon

 

Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla


Cream Cheese Frosting
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt


Dissolve yeast in warm water in 2 1/2 quart bowl. Stir in milk, sugar, butter, salt, egg and 2 cups of the flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in greased 2 1/2 quart bowl; turn greased side up. Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 1 1/2 hours. (Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched). Punch down dough.
 

Flatten dough with hands or rolling pin into rectangle, 15x12 inches, on lightly floured surface. Spread with softened butter. Sprinkle sugar/cinnamon mixture over rectangle. Roll up tightly. Pinch edge of dough into roll to seal well. Stretch roll to make even. Cut into 12 even slices. Place into greased 9x13 pan. Let rise until double, about 40 minutes.
 

Heat oven to 375. Bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Spread rolls with glaze while warm. 

If using the cream cheese frosting, prepare it while the rolls are baking. Spread on still warm rolls (but not right from oven or the frosting will just melt).


Enjoy! 

Teal Signature photo Toniasig.png

Post a Comment