SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Chex Mix


I know it's Christmas when I can smell the Chex Mix in the oven. I've already made 6 batches and will be making even more on Friday. And, unlike last year, there were no kitchen disasters to share {such as spilling a pan just ready to go in the oven}. 

I always get teary-eyed when I make the first batch for the Christmas season. I took this tradition over from my grandma, who always made endless batches for all her grandchildren and sent it to us in saved metal coffee cans. She always had refills ready too. Once she quit making it, I kept her supplied through the Christmas season and sometimes suprised her with it during the summer. It always made her smile.  I miss her so much. She is surely my Christmas angel.

Here's my recipe for Chex mix. I keep it simple. And I usually make a batch without pretzels for me and my sister.


Chex Mix
1 packet Chex seasoning mix
6 Tablespoons Butter, melted
5 cups Rice Chex
4 cups Wheat Chex
2 handfuls Pretzel Sticks
1 cup of Peanuts

Preheat oven to 250. In small bowl, combine seasoning packet & melted butter, mix well. Combine cereal in large roasting pan. Pour butter/seasoning mix over cereal, stir to coat. Add pretzels. Place in oven for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes. After 45 minutes, add peanuts. Cool on cookie sheets lined with paper towels. Store in airtight container.

Post a Comment