SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday, May 9, 2013

all about moms | coming clean

No, I'm not talking about baths here. I'm talking about motherhood...and life in general.  In this day of blogs, Facebook and Pinterest, it's so easy to feel like you aren't measuring up to all the other moms out there. And we all know how that leaves you feeling.  Good grief ~ I can watch an episode or two of Leave It To Beaver and feel that way...like I'm not doing it quite as good as June Cleaver {who is not even a real woman!}.  And on my emotional days, I've even shed a tear or two over how easy Beaver's mom made it all seem.  {Slightly off topic, but isn't Ward dreamy?!}

From perfectly coordinated birthday parties to organic eating to immaculate, perfectly decorated houses to spotless clean kids to perfect family Christmas cards {with every child smiling and looking straight at the camera} to homemade laundry detergent... and that's just naming a few things,  I've been there.  WE'VE ALL BEEN THERE.  I've been there through three of Landon's birthday parties, but I'm saying no to it all for birthday number four. I'm not saying Facebook, Pinterest and blogs aren't great {I love blogging}.  But we have to learn to enjoy our life's moments without even thinking about how the mom from anytown, USA would have made it better.

Here's a few things I've realized lately...
1. Landon will never know about the birthday parties I compared all of his to or that I tried tirelessly to make sure everything was perfectly coordinated, down to the paper drinking straws. He won't care how much money I spent on custom invitations. He'll just remember his party and if mommy was in the moment or tired from all the pre-party fuss.
2. My family will enjoy the holidays because of the family moments I just let happen; not because I read blog after blog and poured over Pinterest on how to have the "perfect" Christmas tree and decor to create the holiday.
3. We are FB friends with people we do not talk to on a regular basis. Yet we try to impress these same people with little details of our life. And no one in this life is perfect, no matter what they are putting online.

Just a few weeks ago, some friends and I were talking about how our parents made parenting seem easier. And maybe they were right. Because they just let us be kids. We had simple cake and ice cream birthdays. We had tinsel covered Christmas trees that took our breath away. Our mom didn't care about what the mom down the street was doing.  She did what worked for our family. I'm going to say that again...WHAT WORKED FOR OUR FAMILY.  Wow...kind of empowering when you actually think about it. 

That's all we need to do...what works for our own families. So on Mother's Day, enjoy the day with your family and know that you are blessed. And that's enough. 


Happy Mother's Day!


Signature 2 photo Signature2.png

Post a Comment