SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, November 8, 2017

thanksgiving stuffing


Confession Time - I get ridiculously excited about Thanksgiving stuffing. I'm not kidding! I actually start thinking about it way before Halloween rolls around. It's my favorite part of the meal. I make it just the way my mother-in-law used to and, oh my goodness, is it good. As a time saver, I actually make my stuffing the night before and refrigerate overnight. The next day I top it with a few spoons of turkey drippings right before baking. Moist on the inside and crispy and crunchy on top...I'm definitely thankful for this stuffing.

Landon and I have so much fun making the stuffing. We listen to Christmas music, eat toasted bread bits, and the house takes on that holiday smell of sage, onions and celery. Once the stuffing is mixed and ready for the baking dish, we put a bit back to just enjoy with a spoon. Mmm...the stuff(ing) memories are made of.  


Holiday Stuffing

1 1/2 sticks butter
2 1/2 cups chopped onions
2 cups chopped celery
5 teaspoons dried sage
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
14 cups dried white bread, cubed & toasted
Chicken or Turkey Stock
{I also add some drippings from the turkey pan}

Place toasted bread cubes in a very large bowl. In a large frying pan, melt butter over a medium heat. Saute onions and celery together with salt and pepper, stirring often, until vegetables are tender, about 10-15 minutes. Add about 1 cup of stock. Continue cooking over medium low heat until stock evaporates.

Add celery & onion mixture to bowl containing toasted bread; add sage & stock, mix well. Add more stock until stuffing is at desired consistency - mine is very moist. {This is where I could end the recipe and just start eating}

Place in buttered casserole dish - bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes until heated through & slightly browned on top.

1 comment :