SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Chex Mix


Our house is definitely starting to smell like Christmas. I spent most of the day Saturday making Chex Mix. Oh my goodness, I LOVE the stuff. I made four, well five batches really. Right when I went to put the first batch in the oven, I somehow managed to spill over half the pan in the floor. Seriously... So I mixed up another batch, threw it in the oven & out came the vacuum & my much-loved Swiffer Wet Jet (If you don't have one of these, GET ONE!!!) I'm sure Landon was wondering what his crazy mommy was doing.

When I was younger, the Christmas season really didn't start for me until I had a fresh batch of mama's Chex mix, served up in a bright blue or red metal coffee can. I can remember sitting on the couch watching Christmas movies (usually "Smokey Mountain Christmas"), the can tucked securely in my arm. The can never stayed full long, but mama always had refills ready, along with a smile.

I use the super easy seasoning packets that you just combine with melted butter. A lot of people add different ingredients now, but I prefer to stick with a simple mix of Wheat Chex, Rice Chex, pretzels & peanuts.

Mama - Merry Christmas in Heaven. I know you & papa will have a wonderful holiday with Jesus. Love you!

Tonia's Chex Mix
1 packet Chex seasoning mix
6 Tablespoons Butter, melted
5 cups Rice Chex
4 cups Wheat Chex
2 handfuls Pretzel Sticks
1 cup of Peanuts

Preheat oven to 250. In small bowl, combine seasoning packet & melted butter, mix well. Combine cereal in large roasting pan. Pour butter/seasoning mix over cereal, stir to coat. Add pretzels. Place in oven for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes. After 45 minutes, add peanuts. Cool on cookie sheets lined with paper towels. Store in airtight container.

Post a Comment